Friday, August 7, 2009

Fucked'ucation!

I had to sit through the horror that is NCEA. To make it worse, my generation was the first to try NCEA. That was 5th form 2002. Now having gone through a couple tertiary training institutes, i haven't seen it get any better. I fear for the generations going through high school now and wonder what bullshit they are still repeating to teach, not to mention the added ideals of a technological world hell bent on consumerism. I feel that the negatives of our current education system -- and not just ours, the worlds aswell-- outweighs the positives. I believe there will be an upheaval of current ideas and institutes in the not to distant future if this keeps up. Creativity must be taught and nurtured just as importantly as math and language. Our current systems of education teach in a industry complex way, they train us as workers. They lead us to an idea of a "career" and I believe the idea of "career" must be either totally reexamined or destroyed. I dono how many times I've come across people telling me that my dreams were not real careers just on the basis that is was an arts medium. Not that i wanted a career i just wanted to do what ever i wanted to do. The whole concept of society and modern culture is gradually devolving ; and with the oncoming elections,
I see no progression of economy, no progression of culture, art or ethics. Just the same old stale shit. "If everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking"

Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity. He challenges the way we're educating our children. He champions a radical rethink of our school systems, to cultivate creativity and acknowledge multiple types of intelligence.




Why don't we get the best out of people? Sir Ken Robinson argues that it's because we've been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers. Students with restless minds and bodies -- far from being cultivated for their energy and curiosity -- are ignored or even stigmatized, with terrible consequences. "We are educating people out of their creativity,"

No comments: